People often have a fear of presentations. Perhaps it is because they are afraid of not doing well or simply because they are afraid of large crowds. Here are ten tips to help you get over your fear of presentations.
1. Make sure to always remind yourself that you are an expert. It will make a presentation easier for you when you pretend that you are the best expert out there. Remind yourself that you are a professional in the field and that you know what you are doing and you know what you are talking about. This will help you feel more secure when doing a number of presentations.
2. Make sure to always dress professionally when doing presentations. When you dress professionally then it will help you stay in the mode of being professional. You feel better about yourself since you are dressed professionally. People generally tend to act more professionally when they are dressed professionally.
3. Try to memorize the words that you want to say and other steps involved in the presentation. You can memorize what you want to say and know exactly the order of each step in the presentation. You want to be able to know what to say word per word without having to look at an index card.
4. Try to keep the presentation interesting to everyone. You want people to be interested in hearing, watching, and listening to what you to have to say or show. You want them to view you as an expert. You can ask people if they have any questions regarding the presentation. Always be prepared to answer their questions.
5. Always be prepared to answer questions. People expect you to know the answers regarding products or projects. They want to know that you know what you are talking about. They need to know that you are very informed with knowledge about the subject that you talk about in your presentations.
6. Remember that the people at the presentation aren’t your enemies. Don’t be afraid of them. They are there to be educated and learn something new from you.
7. The more presentations you do the more comfortable you will become. You will probably actually enjoy doing presentations after a few experiences. You will become more confident each time that you do a presentation.
8. Make sure to give out business cards. Depending upon what type of presentation it is. Business cards show people that you are serious about it.
9. Make sure to give out freebies. It will help make you more confident in you since people will talk about the freebies that they received such as a free pen or whichever and they will remember your presentation. They will think of you as an expert and remember your presentation whenever they use the freebies.
10. Don’t quit doing presentations. The more presentations you do the more people realize that you are very good at what you do.